Profitable Products to Sell Online
By Deniz Subasi
Products to Sell Online
Online traders have a trusted platform that guides towards the proper selling strategy preparation, called EBay. Right from identification of suitable product to sell to the demand analytics – this auction giant fetches a sound information database to excel in field of internet sales.
Online traders, irrespective of their business domain or size are still biased with EBay, when comparison is made with other auction sites. Business owners, especially those with a clear niche are the most benefited users of EBay, and are duly served by a number of outstanding information tools to keep a close look on market trends. Such advantages enable them to plan proper selling strategies, with a clear idea about what, when, and how to sale.
Almost everything is bought and sold on EBay, with few exceptions like weapons, non prescribed drugs, event tickets etc. Therefore, it’s a challenge for the trader to stay focused to some targeted products or innovation ideas, by following a disciplined and systematic way. EBay helps this cause by providing its registered users with trading details, frequents, patterns followed etc, powered by some cool applications and tools like EBay Pulse, Marketplace Research, EBay Keyword Search and Complete Listings Search etc.
Other than enabling its users to get an information upper hand about the products traded, EBay is characterized as the generator of product development ideas as well. Defined as Funnel Vision by EBay professionals, it is designed to help users about finding a product to sell, by engineering of ideas.
1) Some of the ideas come from strategist analysts, in sync with customer demand as well as currently practiced Ecommerce trends. Customer can also express their feedbacks, thereby acting as indirect forces in product modification steps
2) Concepts are transformed into Business Requirements Document(BRD), describing relevance of the ideas in terms of business and utility, both to EBay and its users
3) Project managers evaluate scope of BRD by estimating cost structure of the proposed product development
4) Financial feasibility of the cost estimation is studied, to inspect about its prospective net present value to EBay
5) Teams from different departments cast their vote against or in favor of the product development proposal
6) Finally, board of senior executives study all the opinions before deciding on approval
However, with a motive to diversify their trading opportunities, traders welcome alternative options. Other than EBay, where to sell products online is answered by a number of trustworthy entities. Sites like Amazon, E-Bid, Webstore, Etsy, Bonanza, uBid, ePier, Online Auction have earned a comprehensive accountability to provide EBay like facilities to its respective users. Each site is, however, different from the rest in terms of product categorization, market share, packages offered etc.
Such discriminations are more clearly understood when comparative study between EBay and Gumtree.com.au was made to find solutions on what products to sell online.
1) EBay wins hands down, thanks to its vast exposure, secured payment options, money saving auctions and customer centric promotional activities. However, Gumtree.com.au tried to impress with its signature features like no fees on sold items, user friendly classified placement, non requirement of item posting etc
2) Both Ebay and Gumtree returns with most recent result when a search is made. However, the later behaves slightly different when compared with the former, depending on search mode. A generalized Gumtree search offers better localized results, thanks to its region specific subsections even within same country. Problem with this approach is that the search results push the older results back, even if they are still active on the site.
3) There is another problem with Gumtree, especially while making external search. Results from Australian territory dominate the search results, and the user will have to go for a modified search inquiry by using inurl command and exclusion operator simultaneously. For example, an item XYZ searched on Gumtree excluding Australian results will require a search query like “XYZ”inurl:gumtree.com.au
Besides these all, undoubtedly EBay is still favored by larger population of buyers/sellers. But Guntree isn’t lagging far behind, with its facilities like localized searching, instant purchase, and cheaper base price on the items to be auctioned.